Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Age Of Zeus by James Lovegrove



So after completing my run of 3 Christopher Moore books in a row, I needed something light to read before I dive into whatever my next reading project would be. I like to read a series of books, with one or two single ones in between to clear my head. In wandering around Barnes and Nobles I came across this on the new release shelf. Yes, I can see that the cover looks kinda stupid, but the title interested me enough to pick it up and take a look at the back. It sounded interesting enough so I picked it up. Glad I did! I LOVED this book. It caught my attention from the start and kept me very entertained until the very end. A bit of fantasy, a bit of Greek mythology, quite a bit of action, a tiny bit of hot sweaty sex, and just a lot of plain fun.
Ok, brief story without spoiling anything. Takes place in current times, like now. About 10 or so of the most famous Greek Gods appear and say we fucked up the world enough and they are taking over. After a few shows of power (bye-bye Hong Kong), things settle down and the world is a fairly peaceful place for about 10 years. Wars are a thing of the past, people are fed, and most everyone is fairly happy. The Gods only make a few appearances here and there, but leave behind some minor pets to watch over things. Not everyone is all that happy with rule by force,
but any opposition is quickly squashed. So what would it take to take down a God? And are they actual Gods, or just pretenders? Needless to say, not all is as it seems, but I'll let you find out the rest for yourselves.
In closing, I have no problem recommending this book. It's nothing that will change the world, but it is a very fun read.
I give it 4.5 out of 5 stars.








No comments:

Post a Comment